Hey bestie, it’s your Internet BFF, Kaylannk here! Let’s take a delicious deep-dive into our favorite Black-owned brunch spots in DC. Trust me, your taste buds (and Instagram feed) will thank you.
DC’s brunch scene is legendary, and its Black-owned gems shine bright. From soul food feasts to Caribbean flare, there’s flavor and culture waiting around every corner. So, grab your mimosa flute and get ready to savor in delicious food and support the incredible talent of Black entrepreneurs.
1. Milk & Honey Cafe: This H Street hot spot’s deep-fried biscuits and award-winning shrimp & grits are something to write home about.
2. Ben’s Chili Bowl: No DC brunch list is complete without Ben’s. This U Street institution has been fueling locals for generations, and their chili half-smokes are legendary.
3. Mr. Braxton Bar & Kitchen: This gem is all about an elevated experience from the food to the outdoor sitting area. Imagine New Zealand lamb, hemp-crusted salmon, and crème brûlée in an artistic patio. Thanks to Mr. Braxton Bar & Kitchen you no longer have to imagine, you can experience it for yourself.
4. Oohh’s and Aahh’s: For classic soul food goodness, Oohh’s and Aahh’s is a must-try. Their fried chicken and mac & cheese are great, and the portions are generous enough to share (or not, we won’t judge).
5. Cane: If you’re in the mood for something a little different, Cane’s Trinidadian-inspired cuisine is a must try. Dishes on the menu range from cumin-spiced pork belly to jerk wings.
6. Busboys and Poets: This iconic bookstore and cafe has multiple locations in DC. Their brunch menu features hearty sandwiches, salads, and sweet treats. Here, you can enjoy live music or poetry while you dine. It’s a great spot for brunch with a side of culture.
7. The Wharf: The Wharf is home to several Black-owned restaurants, and locally sourced food. It’s the perfect spot for brunch with a view, and you can explore the area after your meal.
8. Butter Me Up: This place is the perfect photo op for a Sunday brunch with the girls. What screams brunch more than photos and food? Nothing, right? So, don’t forget to snap some pictures of yourself and the food while you are there making for a perfect brunch outing.
Remember DC’s Black-owned brunch scene is vast and ever-evolving, so do your research before you enjoy brunch in the city.
Written with lots of care,
Your Internet BFF
P.S. Share your favorite Black-owned brunch spots in the comments below! Let’s keep the delicious discovery rolling.