Hey bestie, it’s your Internet BFF, Kaylannk here! Let’s talk natural hair.
Everyone with natural hair should be able to do their own hair. Yes, I know, it sounds crazy. But trust me, there are amazing benefits to taking control of your mane, and it’s not just about saving a few bucks (although that’s definitely a bonus!). Here are 5 reasons why doing your own hair might just be the best decision you ever make:
1. Learn Your Hair: When you begin the process of styling your hair, you will learn more about your hair. There are things that you will learn about your hair that stylists may not tell you when they are in the routine of their job.
2. Save Money: Saving money is the most obvious reason why you should do your hair at home. Regular salon visits can take a toll on your monthly budget. I would recommend you opt out of regular salon visits and watch YouTube tutorials for simple hairstyles like ponytails, wash n go, or finger coils. I recommend you save salon visits for professional services like keratin treatments, tape-in installations, hair color treatments, and haircuts.
3. Flexibility: Once you learn how to do your own hair, you will not have to work around someone else’s schedule. You can style your hair how you want to when you want to.
4. Avoid Hair Prejudice: Hair prejudice is real. When you do your own hair, you can avoid hair prejudice such as stylists not servicing 4C hair. Or stylists asking clients to arrive at appointments with their hair washed and blow dried because it will be in a “manageable state” for styling.
5. Treat your hair with care: You can treat your hair with care for no additional cost. I am not tender headed, and I’ve had numerous hairstylists rip and tug at my hair during the blow-drying process. It was clear by the tangles and clumps of hair on the floor that my hair was not properly detangled or moisturized prior to blow drying. I recommend you learn how to properly detangle, pre-poo, and deep condition your hair, so you can treat your hair with care at home.
Remember, natural hair care is a journey.
Written with lots of care,
Your Internet BFF
P.S. What are your natural hair tips? Share your response in the comments.