Finger waves are a difficult hairstyle to achieve for many novices and professional hairstylists. For those of you that have tried to achieve this look on your own can agree. We wanted to make the process a little easier for you, so we created this guide full of steps, tutorials, and product recommendations.
What Are Finger Waves?
Finger waves is a method of setting the hair into wave-like curls.
What Products Do You Need For Finger Waves?
Finger waves is a hairstyle where products matter. You need the right products to create finger waves correctly. You need to use the following products:
- Hair gel: Hair gel is a recommended product for ladies with thick hair. It will be used to create a hold on the finger waves so that it lasts.
- Mousse: Mousse will be used to help with the formation of the waves. Mousse can also be used to create a hold on the finger waves.
- Rat-tail comb: A rat-tail comb will be used to create the shape of the waves.
- Wrapping paper: Wrapping paper will be used to set the hairstyle.
How To Do Finger Waves on Short Hair?
Step 1: Apply the products.
If you have thick hair, apply gel then mousse. If you have thin hair, you can use mousse by itself. Applying gel and mousse provides a stronger base for the hairstyle.
Step 2: Part your hair.
Use the rat tail comb to create a side part on either side of your head. Then comb your hair down into place.
Step 3: Create the waves.
- Start on the side of your head with the most hair and comb a section of hair forward in a ‘C’ formation. You can use your fingers to help you create the wave. You can hold the hair down with one hand as you create the curls with the other.
- After creating the ‘C’ wave, form a ‘U’ wave by combing the next section of the hair back. Make sure your hair is combed completely before you go to the next wave.
- Alternate between creating ‘C’ and ‘U’ waves.
Step 4: Dry your hair.
You can let your hair air dry as is. Or you can wrap it with wrapping paper and allow it to air dry or blow dry it this way.
How To Do Finger Waves On Natural Hair?
In this YouTube tutorial, she did a slightly different method than listed above. She applied gel and curl cream to her hair. Then she used a brush to evenly distribute the product. She applied mousse. She used her fingers to guide the creation of the waves. Lastly, she used wrapping paper to set her hair.
How To Maintain Finger Waves?
You can maintain finger waves by applying a silk scarf at night.
Check out: How To Blow Out Your Natural Hair?