This post contains affiliate links. If you buy something through our links, we may earn commission. Read our full disclaimer here.
Hey bestie, it’s your Internet BFF, Kaylannk here! Let’s talk finger waves. Finger waves is a method of setting typically short hair into wave-like curls. Although finger waves look cool, it is a difficult hairstyle to master. I love this hairstyle so much, so I created this guide to help you master this timeless look for short hair.
Are you ready to do your finger waves?
Finger Waves Essentials:
Finger waves is a hairstyle where products matter. You need the right products to create finger waves correctly.
- Hair gel: Hair gel is a recommended product for ladies with thick hair. It will be used to create a hold on the finger waves so that it lasts.
- Mousse: Mousse will be used to help with the formation of the waves. Mousse can also be used to create a hold on the finger waves.
- Rat-tail comb: A rat-tail comb will be used to create the shape of the waves.
- Wrapping paper: Wrapping paper will be used to set the hairstyle.
How To Do Finger Waves on Short Hair?
Step 1: Apply the products: If you have thick hair, apply gel then mousse. If you have thin hair, you can use mousse by itself. Applying gel and mousse provides a stronger base for the hairstyle.
Step 2: Part your hair: Use the rat tail comb to create a side part on either side of your head. Then comb your hair down into place.
Step 3: Create the waves.
- Start on the side of your head with the most hair and comb a section of hair forward in a ‘C’ formation. You can use your fingers to help you create the wave. You can hold the hair down with one hand as you create the curls with the other.
- After creating the ‘C’ wave, form a ‘U’ wave by combing the next section of the hair back. Make sure your hair is combed completely before you go to the next wave.
- Alternate between creating ‘C’ and ‘U’ waves.
Step 4: Dry your hair: You can let your hair air dry as is. Or you can wrap it with wrapping paper and allow it to air dry or blow dry it this way.
How To Do Finger Waves On Natural Hair?
In this YouTube tutorial, she did a slightly different method than listed above. She applied gel and curl cream to her hair. Then she used a brush to evenly distribute the product. She applied mousse. She used her fingers to guide the creation of the waves. Lastly, she used wrapping paper to set her hair.
How To Maintain Finger Waves?
You can maintain finger waves by applying a silk scarf at night.
Written with lots of care,
Your Internet BFF
P.S. Will you be trying finger waves? Share your thoughts in the comments.
Check out: How To Blow Out Your Natural Hair?